Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Growing up in Klotildliget, Hungary

Klotildliget, the small village where I was growing up, was subdivided from the properties of Habsburg-Lotaring Prince Joseph Karl in the late 1880's (as the more than 100 years old map illustratating above) at the area of the forested Pilis mountains, and was named after his wife, Klotild.

It was an ideal place for game hunting which activity was continued by his son, Prince Joseph Agost in the first half of the 20th century.

The beasts must had been abundant those days, because my mother was able to buy some venison and wild boar meat at the local butcher's shop during the hunting seasons.

One has to remember that this was the time before the communist took over Hungary at the end of WWII. By the end of 1945 everything was owned by the Communist government, and wild meats was not available anymore for the households. However, because the Hungarians do not give up easily, they have substituted it with the marinated beef.

(I'm not responsible for the incorrect spelling of "Bore" on the video.)

2 comments:

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

Thanks for sharing these memories of your childhood village. So much can change so quickly - I wish we could go back in time for a visit.

Lisa
100 Years in America
Small-leaved Shamrock
A light that shines again
Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

I don't know why I had never seen it before, but I just found your Hungarian Cooking website! (http://recipes.vonmetz.com/) I'm looking forward to learning from you. Can I email with questions? :)

I'm getting hungry just looking through your pictures. So glad I found this before the holidays! I'm going to put some of your recipes into our family's holiday plans.

Thanks, Jutka!

Lisa
100 Years in America
Small-leaved Shamrock
A light that shines again
Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture