Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hungary, 1956.














By 1956 I was picking up the pieces of my life after spending 26 months in a punitive restricted environment; I had met someone whose love and care was giving me the hope for a brighter future.
However, the drastic events of the Hungarian Uprising completely disrupted our planning and we had to leave everything behind without saying "good-bye" to our families. We left our country, and walked through the borders to Austria during the darkness of the night. It was bitter cold, and reeds crackled when we crossed the frozen marshes.

1 comment:

Nikki Hootman said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I have just spent quite a while reading through the history of your life, which is quite amazing! Thank you for sharing your story - and passing it on to the next generation.