Monday, February 20, 2012

Dream Homes



We were planning to build a log cabin after my husband’s retirement on our lot in a Senior Community by Lake Nacimiento, California. But after receiving quite a few plans and brochures from the manufacturers we had to change our minds considering our available funds.

We still can build - told my husband - and got down to his drawing board to design the smartest A-frame house for our gently sloping lot. We had our dream home built with a good contractor in less than six month.

The moving day was approaching rapidly and we spent the next two years enjoying our new home and surroundings. We even bought a little motor boat for the huge lake nearby.

Then one day we took the Amtrak for an 18 hours trip to State of Washington to visit an elderly relative of his. The Rail journey was magnificent with the ever-changing scenery. The dramatic snow-covered peaks of Mount Shasta and the Cascade Range, lush forests, fertile valleys, and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline provided a stunning backdrop for our journey.

I instantly fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. Oh, Len - I told my husband - we made a big mistake, this is the place I would like to live for the rest of my life. And my dear man agreed with me.

This was 25 years ago. We sold our house in California and found our dream home again in Oregon, a manufactured home in five acres of old-growth forest.

Things have changed since then. I still live in Oregon but Len is gone exactly four years ago on the 20th of February.

No comments: